Monday, January 18, 2010

Angelina Jolie: Colette

I think it would be absolutely amazing if Angelina Jolie portrayed the French novelist, Sidonie Gabrielle Colette in a film about her life. I think she'd do a fantastic job!!! Here's a little more info on Colette:

Colette, Sidonie Gabrielle (1873-1954)

Colette was a French novelist. In 1893 she married the writer Henri Gauthier-Villars, who discovered her talent and kept her prisoner while she wrote her first four novels, which he then published under his own pen name of "Willy." Colette divorced her husband in 1906 and spent some years as an actress in the music hall before she returned to writing.

Her first major success was the novel Cheri, published in 1920. She also continued to write stories about the character "Claudine," who had appeared in the novels stolen by her husband, including Claudine in Paris (1931). Colette's subject is almost always love, and many of her novels were thought scandalous when they were first published. She became very popular, and was given a state funeral when she died.


*Here are some of my favorite Colette quotes:

"A happy childhood is poor preparation for human contacts."

"As for an authentic villain, the real thing, the absolute, the artist, one rarely meets him even once in a lifetime. The ordinary bad hat is always in part a decent fellow."

"I love my past, I love my present. I am not ashamed of what I have had, and I am not sad because I no longer have it."
"If I can't have too many truffles, I'll do without truffles."

"It is not a bad thing that children should occasionally, and politely, put parents in their place."

"Look for a long time at what pleases you, and a longer time at what pains you."

"Sit down and put down everything that comes into your head and then you're a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff's worth, without pity, and destroy most of it."

"Total absence of humor renders life impossible."

"There is no need to waste pity on young girls who are having their moments of disillusionment, for in another moment they will recover their illusion."

"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner."

"You must not pity me because my sixtieth year finds me still astonished. To be astonished is one of the surest ways of not growing old too quickly."

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."

No comments:

Post a Comment